But when you think about it, that's kind of what RPG has always been able to
do. The UI waits for user input, the user does something, control is
returned to the program, the program checks for what key was pressed,
program branches to appropriate area of code. The main difference, as far
as business programming is concerned, is that most modern
frameworks/languages wouldn't require that you have the event controller
logic and instead you would build that into the UI layer. For example, in
the UI layer you would state which RPG sub proc to invoke when a button is
pressed or when a field is updated. In reality we have that capability
today with being able to dynamically invoke a sub procedure using system
API's as long as they both operate on the same interface (which is the same
"restriction" Java puts on interfaces).

I am quite excited to see what Profound UI looks like (I have signed up for
their demo tomorrow) because I am a believer that if they have done it right
it could REALLY make RPG programmers efficient in writing web apps. RPGUI,
in the next release, has the same concept built into it, but doesn't use
RPGOA and instead does it through straight RPG sub procedure calls (i.e.
RPGUI_exfmt() )

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/