On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:09 PM, web400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

PCML doesn't even need to exist, IMHO. It's an overblown,
overengineered, overcomplicated way to do things. Simple embedded
signatures would be much more efficient than kludgy, limited, XML documents.

Hi Scott - nice to disagree with you for a change!

I'll just comment mostly on the PCML bit as it relates to the original thread. On the subject of Open Access I will simply say that I think that anything that gets the user base excited and thinking about web apps is goodness. And I haven't seen this much excitement in years.

On the PCML issue - First let me say that I dislike PCML intensely - like you I think there were better ways to go but the XML love affair was in full flight when it was developed. No matter how much I dislike it though, it exists and a lot of $ have been spent on it. Given that I suspect IBM would be reluctant to invent yet another mechanism for the storing of parameter data in the module when they have already invested in PCML. As an XML based technology it can easily be deciphered by any program on any platform that retrieves it. Heck building a web service to call the API to retrieve it would be a no brainer.

It already has the ability (although it is not complete) to define structures - something they would have to reinvent with any embedded binary version. Not saying it couldn't be done - or that it wouldn't be preferable. I can just hear the "but we've already got the foundations with PCML" arguments in the halls of IBM.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com