Sorry, I don't think that is a great strategy, because when
5250 disappears, and it will, what will become of the RPG
programmer and thereby all his application and company know-
legde ?

I also disagrees with Mike's statement: "I caution anyone who
paints with a broad brush when the canvas is as intricate as
the future of our field!"

Most programmer dosn't have a clue of the underlying environment
they actually is programming in. Just to make some examples,
the MI layer, the 5250 processor, the single level storage and
how the algorithms is working, the HTML renderer in a browser,
the components in a browser etc. etc. - they know as little
about these things as the user that uses their programs know
about programming or a cardriver knows about how their car
actually works.

So where is it written that a programmer has to know anything
about the OOjavascript that runs in the browser or in the iPOD
or in the iPAD ?

Most users and most programmers dosn't need a Formel 1, the need
a Folkswagon, simple to use and simple to drive.

So the basic task is to provide RPGLE programmers with that
Folkswagon and not to scare them into thinking that they have
to learn to master a Formel 1, even though they both have wheels
and a stering weel.

A modernization process is not a process where you move a system
from on technology to another using all the new possible features
of the new technology, it is a process where you have to move a
large amount of programs from one UI to another in the shortest
possible time and the smallest learningcurve.

Whenever you stand before a task, you should use a tool that is
constructed for that task, an nobody can convince my that either
ZEND, RAILS, .NET or WEBSPHERE is constructed to move a 60+ RPG
programmer with 1500 5250 programs into a modern world with the
speed of light and with a small learningcurve.

Or have you/they made psychological studies on how the majority
of this group acted when they went from RPGII/FORMATS to RPGIII/
DDS 20 years ago (the last major modernization) or sociological
studies on the general discurse they a working under ?

What is their learningstyle, do you give them a 3 month course
or a step by step learning, what are their logical view and
undertandig of processes (they have been living 20 years in a
procedural world/environment), do you think is is worth while to
try to teach them what a tree traversal algorithm and then leave
them on their own to code such a thing ?

I actually don't think any of the above mention products construc-
ters has given it any thought, primarly because they dosn't have
given it any thoughts, secondary because they simple dosn't have
either the skills or the resource to do the task.

Remember, in 1913 any car manufactor said that making cars on an
assembly line couldn't be done, Henry Ford did it, and it seems to
me that all the others was wrong, so of cource it can be done, but
not by people that can't see the forest for the trees.

/Henrik

"Mike Pavlak" <Mike.Pavlak@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
30-03-2010 15:51
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] Would you take a complimentary course on HTMLfrom acompany
whose website looked like this?

Great response Kelly! So on the other hand, your RPG programmers
probably have a TON of business knowledge locked up in their heads. Do
the web developers really want to learn the difference between a
Requisition, a Purchase Order and a Payable? Each person should be
considered individually and an education plan designed around their
needs. BUT, that takes effort and energy for both the resource and
manager. Sometimes it may be easier to hire a web developer and
sometimes it is appropriate. Obviously, your mileage may vary!

I like Aaron's point regarding templating as it appears to be the best
of both worlds. But in my experience I have run into some web
programmers who want to learn enterprise and business development. I
caution anyone who paints with a broad brush when the canvas is as
intricate as the future of our field!

Regards,

Mike

mike.p@xxxxxxxx Cell: (408)679-1011 Office: (815)722-3454