Nathan,

"If there is a danger in adopting Flex, it would be that you fall into the
same trap that Java Swing developers did, which was to transfer too much
application logic to the client."

You are right on the money here. IMHO this was the fundamental mistake made
by all not just java enthusiasts. Client Server is NOT ideally suited for
the type of business applications that As/400 typically host. There are
exceptions within in that and specific functional requirements such as off
line processing etc, but generally fat server having DB and Business logic
will prevail. Unfortunately java got the blame for bad design decisions.
Having said that IMO Java was not mature enough 10 years ago as a language
and its implementation patterns. That has really changed now.

Well we don't have a problem with over engineering how we use flex. As I
mentioned previously we reengineer the business logic, IO and UI and
controller logic out separately in our RPG/SYNON extraction. So the ONLY
thing we are going to use Flex for is pure UI, just as it should be. We can
and do use ASP, JSF in the same way. Flex is much simpler and easier to
maintain in this context.

I sent out a question to Jon Paris on linked in earlier about RPG in amongst
all this mix. I would be interested to hear your and others thoughts on this
question to him.

Stuart