Both of the following are well-formed according to the syntactical rules of XML:

<client>
<name>Sally</name>
<child>
<name>Peter</name>
</child>
<child>
<name>Jill</name>
</child>
</client>

OR

<client>
<name>Sally</name>
<children>
<child>
<name>Peter</name>
</child>
<child>
<name>Jill</name>
</child>
</children>
</client>

You can validate both of the above using the w3Schools online validator:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp

Which of the two you decide to use will therefore depend on which is most convenient given your situation (e.g., which XML parser you are using, whether or not the XML file will be used with other technologies like JSON or xslt, and so forth).

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Dot Foods, Inc.