It is indeed. Probably not to the extent it once was, but you have to have
somewhat of an SEO friendly site if you want to get a good page rank. If you
are building applications that don't need to be found, there is nothing to
worry about.

There are things that help like sitemaps.xml, but anything rendered with
JavaScript the indexers will not find. For example look at the source for
you GMail. It's all JavaScript, I believe written in GWT but I'm not 100%
sure on that. Anyway, that is what a crawler/bot would see. There is no HTML
to render so it wouldn't index anything.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially with AJAX, is bookmarking. You
have to have some kind of parametrized URL's or use some kind of URL
rewriting in order to properly bookmark it.

--
James R. Perkins