It's not unique to the i Jon. There are pockets of Open Source paranoia out there (folks in the Microsoft world come to mind) and it is just a mindset thing. I posted about this a while back. Some people are more naturally open to sharing than others. Some folks will get caught up in the details of licensing, others will take their chances. You need to read licensing agreements carefully and most Open Source agreements are pretty readable. If you have questions, ask the license holder. Keep it simple.

All the success stories will carry little weight if you are naturally against the concept. Again, I just appreciate folks like Aaron and Scott who share freely without getting wrapped around the license axle. Do they get abused? Sure. I have seen folks rip off Scott's stuff and not give him credit but I don't think Scott loses any sleep over it. For every abuser there are 10 folks who are thankful and contribute back. In this cynical, selfish world, that is a pretty good ratio.

Pete

Jon Paris wrote:
I think I now understand why open source has never taken off in the IBM i community - we can never get past the arguments about what the (largely unenforceable) license terms mean and actually get down to coding and sharing.

If it is all as bad as some seem to think then why have SugarCRM, PHP, MySQL, Linux, and on and on been able to succeed so well?

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com