The ExtJS license is either GPLv3 or their commercial license. Since they have chosen to license their product under GPLv3, they are bound by its provisions, and since in-house use and modifications are acceptable under GPLv3, they cannot force you to use their commercial license instead of the GPL. The only reason you would be required to purchase a commercial license is if you wanted to distribute an application containing ExtJS under a non GPLv3 compatible license.

Joe Lee

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> 01/19/2010 15:17 >>>
From: Joe Lee
If your application is only ever used in-house, then the application has
never been distributed and therefore the source does not need to be
"given away".

Just one point of clarification - Aaron was asking specifically about the ExtJS license - not just the GPLv3 license, generally. In-house applications fall under the ExtJS Commercial license - unless the source for the in-house application is offered and distributed under GPL. Again, I quote:

"Commercial License ... is the appropriate option if you are creating proprietary applications and you are not prepared to distribute and share the source code of your application under the GPL."

In other words, if you are not willing to distribute your source under the GPL license, then neither is ExtJS.

Nathan.