I'm getting ready to start the process of creating a consumer based web
site. This is really the first time I've had to create a consumer based
site. My original thought was I would JSF/Facelets to create the site, but
got to thinking this might not work out so well as I need search engines to
be able to index it. I've created web applications before, but they have
always been internal applications or applications that required a user to
log in and have an account.

Doing some reading on SEO I'm seeing now that an entire JSF based site might
not be the best approach. The main problem being you can't really bookmark
JSF pages and links are mostly created using JavaScript which the spiders
can't crawl.

My question is have others run into this? Are people really still creating
static pages for stuff like this? Do any of you have suggestions on where to
begin or possibly a framework that would work better than or with JSF? I've
heard of PrettyFaces, but I think you have to be on a Java EE 5 compliant
server which to start we will not be running.

I've also considered creating a library to generate static pages based on
templates. That way each time a new item or category is entered into the
database a new page is not having to manually created and/or updated.

Thanks in advance,
--
James R. Perkins
http://twitter.com/the_jamezp