Subject: Re: Major upgrade on MySQL (5.0.xx to 5.1.xx)
From: Pete Helgren <pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 13:35:53 -0700

Looked like this worked, except it didn't (bummer).
I followed the instructions but the mysqld_safe threw errors about
the database even through it indicated that MySQL started. Running
the mysql_upgrade produced no output so I assumed it was correct.

Applications using the tables seemed to be working OK but a MySQL
tool I use (Navicat) indicates an issue with a system table. So I
shut down all instances of MySQL and now it won't start at all. I
see this error in the spool file from the job:

Cannot open /usr/local/mysqldata/zmysql.pid.

Looks hosed up. Can anyone help?

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:

Back in September there were some posts regarding this and some
promises to update documentation but I don't see any i5/OS specific
instructions on the links in the post. I am using the SAVF method
for upgrading and got the "Major upgrades are not allowed using the
upgrade installer" error indicating that you can't upgrade.

The posts look like you have to rename a file, run the INSMYSQL
procedure pointing to a temporary folder for the data so it doesn't
hammer the existing data, and then rename the file back and run the
mysql upgrade command. The instructions suggest this route rather
than MYSQLINST/UPGMYSQL (which seems counter intuitive). Is that
correct? Has anyone had success in upgrading using a SAVF and those
instructions?

Thanks

Pete