From: Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, December 31, 2009 12:23:09 PM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] PowerExt (www.PowerExt.com)

It appears to me that a key to generating RUI applications is to embed RUI
widgets in standard HTML pages, use a template engine to dynamically
generate pages, then have high-level RPG procedures asynchronously supplying
properly formatted data streams to data-bound widgets.

That is exactly my thoughts on the matter!

Let me run this thought past you...

What if the definition of a grid was configured via DB2 tables, similar to
how a *DSPF has it's screen stored in DSS? Then a programmer could
configure a screen and corresponding UI components outside of the highly
error prone syntax of Javascript. For performance considerations you could
serialize the DB2 representation of a grid into a stream file (or *USRSPC)
so there was less data I/O, and then you could have "switches" that stated
whether or not a cached version of a screen should be used or if it should
be obtained from the DB2 tables.

In the end, if we have programmers coding HTML, CSS, or Javascript, then I
think we missed the mark because that is where the most time is wasted.

Now imagine if we allowed programmers to create screens using the ExtJS
Designer and store the created form in those aformentioned DB2 tables for
both initial creation and maintenance purposes:
http://www.extjs.com/api/xds/screencasts/designer.html

Thoughts?
Aaron Bartell