Aaron Bartell wrote:
Nope. It's in some ways easier to use a JVM-based tier for middleware (and
that's the default), but it's not necessary.

I am intrigued! Is there an article you can point me at that shows how this
works without a JVM on the server?
Yup. Go to EGL Cafe and read my blog (EGL and i). Source code for a working "Java-free" EGL/RPG application. It's trivial, but it shows the concept.

As to your other questions, I would love to answer them, but I fear it would
only lead us to both be grumpy at each other (again) and I would rather not
be grumpy :-)

Why grumpy? Seriously, the only thing I said was that EGL generates JavaScript and that's certainly open, and that non-i-specific JavaScript is probably more future safe than i-specific PHP. Your only arguments can be:

1. The generated JavaScript would be tough to maintain without the tool (true)
2. Zend is more future-proof than EGL (opinion, neither true nor false)

Not a lot to get grumpy about. The only real issue is whether the productivity of EGL is worth the lock-in. You may say no, but if you play with EGL CE and see how quick it is to create things, you might change your mind (especially with the built-in support for Dojo).

Caveat: it's easier (read faster) to create applications using Java-enabled middleware, but the client doesn't change, so once you've got your application working, you can go back and re-engineer the middleware to be Java-free.

Joe