Nathan Andelin skrev:
From: Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
If PASE could also run PowerPC Linux ...

You've piqued my interest. Do you have a particular application in mind to port to PASE? PHP is already a big hit.
Actually it is a bit the other way around - I'd much rather have I do _NOT_ have to port applications to PASE. The support of AIX in the Open Source world is basically non existant, and as PASE runs AIX binaries it goes for that too. I do not know why this is so, but my best bet is that IBM does not provide any facilities to Open Source folks without payment.

I was intrigued by the talk by Simon Peyton Jones at JAOO 2009 about the work with Haskell and how to _transparently_ implement MapReduce which is a HARD problem. Haskell is a functional language which is rather hard to describe to people unfamliar to the concept, but it can be somewhat compared to the difference in mindset between coding an application in RPG/Cobol/Java/etc and SQL.

But basically I have concluded that the ability to run AIX binaries is nice, but close to useless unless you have an AIX machine nearby to compile programs on. It would be much better if we could run Linux binaries, and if perhaps IBM would officially sanction e.g. the Debian or Redhat package manager so we would be able to type "apt-get install gcc" and get a fully functional compiler tool chain _inside_ the I.

Hope this makes things clearer :D