From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
Sent: 15 November 2009 9:23 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Modernization?

Maurice O'Prey skrev:
Vern Wrote

Sounds like you have a product - if so, please say so. Your comments
come across very skewed.

No product, I just have a very basic Prototype OODBMS put together some
years ago. I have no criticism of the databases mentioned, all I would say
is that RDBMS has been around for quite a considerable time and with the
expansion of OO programming languages then it would appear natural that an
OODBMS would come along next (maybe we are ready for it now?). Possibly
this
then could be referred to as a "Modern" approach to the database and one
that works more akin to the human brain (I don't think mine stores
tables..., but who knows ;-)

Certainly there is room for both RDMS and OODBMS and its not one versus
the
other. It is a topic that I am very interested in, more at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_database#

To be frank I think that object oriented databases have the same problem
against the traditional relational databases, that J2EE things have
against AS/400 programs.

They simply cannot outperform their non-modern counterparts!

Or at least cannot do so without a LOT of horsepower which adds up to a
lot of money. The problem here for object oriented databases as
opposed to J2EE and .NET is that there is actually not a problem needing
to be solved.

But that is just my personal opinion. Please prove me wrong :D