Tim,

So I can't blame MYSQL and Apache? I have to blame (GASP!) os/400? Man, you took all the wind out of my curmudgeonly sails.

I am at V5r4 and will be interested to see if there is a PTF. I guess I could bite the bullet and upgrade to v6.

And while it may have been a little more comforting to hear IBM Support say, "yes, we know about this problem", the solution would have been the same, IPL the system.

Thanks for more insight to the problem.

---Dale

message: 3
date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:19:32 -0500
from: Timothy P Clark <timclark@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] MYSQL error requires IPL

Hi Dale,

I've been following this thread, and I'm going to wager a guess that the problem you hit with the PID file being "in use" had nothing to do with MySQL (or PHP or Apache). MySQL just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and stumbled over a bug in the OS.

The symptoms that you've described sound very similar to an issue that was discovered internally recently in the IBM lab and that has its roots deep in the IFS. There are PTFs for 6.1 (MF46884) and 6.1.1 (MF46740), and a v5r4 fix is in the works. Without being able to diagnose your system in its problem state, I can't be certain that you hit the same problem corrected by these PTFs, but it does sound pretty suspicious. It's unfortunate that IBM support didn't pursue this further, since a failure to delete a streamfile because of being "in use" when the only programs using it have been ended is, in my opinion, strongly indicative of an OS bug.

Thanks
Tim Clark