From: "Tom Deskevich" <thomas.l.deskevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:"'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/9/2009 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Intranet issues, apache configuration.
Tom,

If you really want to get into Apache configuration, there's a book called
"Professional Apache 2.0" that I found very helpful. I think it's out of
print now but there may be an updated version that covers Apache 2.2. With
the exception of SSL and some of the options for basic authentication,
Apache on i is no different than any other platform.

The documentation at the main Apache site is in general very good but IBM's
documentation for the HTTP server is in general pretty bad (it does cover
the i specific stuff very well and the documentation from the help links in
the admin UI is generally better than what's in the InfoCenter).

There are also a lot of sites that are dedicated just to the Apache http
server so it usually isn't hard to find examples of what you're trying to
do.

For the other stuff, the tutorials at http://www.w3schools.com/ are usually
good introductions. I've not messed with PHP much but there have been a lot
of articles about it in the magazines and web sites that cover the i.

I would also encourage you to pull down PHP and the Apache HTTP server and
run them locally. This will allow you to experiment without causing harm to
anything that is in production and almost everything you do on your PC will
directly transfer to the i.

Matt

Thanks, MATT, I have already downloaded Apache and PHP, but never thought of
experimenting locally.
Ok, I found the http.conf under c:\webserver\apache22\conf.

W3 schools has the best instructions I have found. Very simple and straight
forward for someone just learning.

While my wife watches survivor and I rub her aching knee from surgery, I use
the other hand to read stuff on the internet.
(refer to twinax,dumb terminal, and system 36 comment...)

Tom Deskevich
Infocon Corporation
Phone 814-472-6066
Fax 814-472-5019