we've been doing webfacing for a while - once you get comfortable, it
works pretty well (as kelly said, it did not used to)

Larry Kleinman
Kleinman Associates, Inc.
212-949-6469
203-255-4100

"Kelly Cookson" <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/02/2009 04:23 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] "Webfacing"

I took the IBM course on WebFacing a few years back. I could generate
web pages from 5250 screens quickly--if everything was just so.
WebFacing did not (at the time) support all language keywords, had a
hard time dealing with older code, and sometimes required a few changes
in DDS to get the desired formatting or functionality. I explored
WebFacing a complex application involving several 5250 screens, but I
decided it was not worth the effort. Maybe things have gotten better.

I have not used the Zend 5250 bridge. It requires Zend Platform, which
is a licensed product.

The Zend 5250 Bridge uses the WebFacing server behind the scenes.
However, whereas WebFacing generates a Java Web app for you, you write
your own PHP scripts to communicate with the 5250 Bridge. The PHP
scripts can call functions that mimic user input to 5250 screens.

Jon Paris has a Webinar about the 5250 Bridge here:
http://www.zend.com/en/solutions/modernize-ibm-i/ibmi-webinars

Kelly