I'm sure that you weren't impugning PHP and I hope I didn't come across
as saying that. My intent in responding was to help contribute to
getting as accurate a set of numbers for you to compare with and also to
note some of the other issues I saw with comparing local performance to
a web server running in the Netherlands, using PHP 4.3. :-)

The points I had were four-fold

1) The 500ms you had noted earlier likely included more TCP latency than
was accounted for and so the 260-fold difference is probably smaller

2) The calculations you had provided were to the last byte, when first
byte, due to output buffering, is probably a more accurate
representation of elapsed execution time on the server, over the
Internet.

3) From my longer-than-should-be-allowed-on-a-mailing-list response,
using a framework has less to do with performance and more to do with
development time and application structure.

4) The longer response times you get from a framework will probably not
impact the end user that much for 95% (arbitrary number) of the web
applications out there. My personal experience with framework-based and
non-framework-based applications has shown me that once you get beyond a
relatively simple application you start to see pretty good dividends in
developer productivity and code maintainability by using a framework.

Kevin