Nathan Andelin skrev den 29-06-2009 18:32:
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
We have been looking on this to get an idea of expected web
service response times.

I recently came across a web service from Microsoft, that updates a small portion of a forum page asynchronously - after the page is initially displayed:

http://tinyurl.com/kugagq
I believe you have linked to a static version? It does not update here.

The thing that puzzles me is that response times range widely - the last time I checked, response times ranged from 125 milliseconds to 1,610 milliseconds, with lots of numbers in-between. Does the Web server cache the response, but not always? The response is only 343 bytes total, so I can't imagine the network being a bottleneck
Well, they run under IIS/7.0 meaning I have absolutely no idea what goes on serverside :)

A possible explanation could be that this is considered low priority so the response is just generated whenever the server does not have to do anything else. Another explanation could be that for simplicity reasons the code only serves one client at a time, so you have to wait until it is your turn.

It appears that it is a sample .NET application. Hence you should be able to look a tthe source code.