Do you have an example of what you have?

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of John Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:38 PM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WEB400] CSS Positioning Madness

Ok, so I'm making an effort to use CSS for layout instead of tables, and
it's not going well. I use VS2008 as my IDE, and after many hours of
frustration, I finally have a layout that looks correct in the designer.
Then I preview in IE7 and FF3, and neither renders even close to what I
see
in the VS designer. In fact, I have three rendered windows, and three
completely different results. We're not talking about a pixel nudge here
and
there, but a jumbled mess of divs all over the place.

Then I spend several more hours reading about CSS positioning on the web
until my eyes begin to glaze over. Just when I think I have it figured
out,
I read another tutorial or article that completely contradicts what I
just
learned. Take RELATIVE positioning for example; I've now read that it
means
a div using relative positioning will be offset from the parent
container,
from the browser viewport itself, or relative to its "normal" flow
placement
(whatever the heck that would be). One question. three different
answers.
Hmmm..

I now have four days into this website, and I've yet to manage to even
layout my page header so that it looks reasonably correct on both major
browsers and my IDE. Of course there is a learning curve associated with
any
new technology, but this is nuts. I'm just about ready to give up on CSS
positioning and go back to tables. But I hate giving up, and so would
like
to take one last kick at the cat, so I'm asking for your help. Are you
using
CSS for layout? If so, do you have any suggestions for a good website to
use
as a tutorial and reference resource? How about those CSS Toolkits. is
anyone using those to deal with cross-browser compatibility issues?