From: "Dean, Robert"
I was thinking the same thing about that study. Some of the tuning
decisions seemed arbitrary, and others seemed to be designed to
deliberately hamstring the WebSphere-on-POWER system.

Possibly. It seemed odd that they configured only 2 instances of Websphere on an 8-way Model 570 and set the maximum thread count at only 50 - while they configured 4 instances of Websphere & ASP.Net on a 16-way Wintel blade, for example.

Who in their right mind would actually build WebSphere on AIX and then
force it to talk to DB2 on Windows instead of DB2 on an AIX partition?

Right. And if price/performance were the objective, you'd probably run both in the same partition of the Power Server.

But Microsoft came up with a fantasy configuration of front-ending two 16-way database servers with an 8-way Power Server and a 16-way Wintel Blade. Then only reported (and actually highlighted) the price/performance of the application servers - a $260K Power Server vs. an 87K Wintel blade.

A thoughtful analyst might consider that the real expense is in database servers - not application servers. But it would not be in Microsoft's interest to compare the price/performance of a single Power Server running a mixed workload to three Wintel Blade servers running distributed workloads - and showing database server costs.

No, Microsoft would rather highlight a specific price/performance metric that sends a manipulative message to possibly clueless executives.

Forget other TCO factors such as the extra cost and performance drain applicable to virus protection on Wintel servers - just to mention one.

Nathan.