Wayne,

Presuming that your HTTP server is configured for Basic Authentication
(not some roll your own log in method) to apply to specific url
requests, then you can be assured that, once you have logged on to the
server, then the REMOTE_USER environment will most certainly be
populated. If you are not retrieving it then you must have an issue with
the mechanism you are using to retrieve it. It's there for all to
retrieve.

You can prove this quite easily without writing any code.
Simply start the HTTP server with verbose logging, for example,
STRTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) HTTPSVR(YOURSVR '-vv')

Then issue a request from the browser that will challenge you to log on.
Then end the HTTP server.
Then do a work job YOURSVR to track down the spool files that were
generated by the -vv option.

Each of the YOURSVR jobs shown should have a spool file named
QZSRHTTPTR.
One of them will relate to the particular job that handled your log on
request.
Simply scan each spool file for the string REMOTE_USER and you will find
that one of them will return a hit. It will show the REMOTE_USER
environment and it's value along with the list of every other
environment variable in existence during the processing of the request.

Note - *IOSYSCFG authority is required to start the server with -=the
-vv option set.

Cheers, Peter