Chasing the tail a bit on this one....

I took Alfred's advice and bypassed the proxy and ended up with the same problem! The blog displayed just fine but the I still couldn't log in. That took me on a slightly different search route and I ended up attempting to log in with IE, which worked. So there is some 'quirk' with Firefox that I will have to sort out, but the application is working as designed as far as I can tell. I just have to use IE in order to update the blog (at the moment).

Two things to pay attention to:

I have a web page and the blog is a subfolder on the web page. I needed to use the following as part of the httpd.conf setting in the i5/OS web admin.

ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8000/mywebfolder/
ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8000/mywebfolder/

And I needed to make sure that 1 of the following two things were also set. Either add the following directive in httpd.conf

ProxyPreserveHost On

Or, use the following hack in your wp-config.php file:

if ( isset( $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST'] ) )
$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST'];

Both approaches seem to work.

I am mystified by the Firefox problem and, while jumping back and forth between the i5/OS web admin and clearing cookies from Firefox, I have now broken the login for the Integrated Solutions Console that gives me access to the i5/OS Web Administration application. Sigh....fix one thing, break another.

In any case, if you install WordPress and use the directives for proxypass and ProxyPreserveHost, you should be able to get it to go.

I also had changed the siteurl and home settings in the wp_options table in the WordPress database. I can't remember the original values but you may want to inspect them if you are still having trouble accessing your WP site.

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
Thanks Alfred, for that thorough reply.
So it looks like when I leave the i5/OS Apache instance out of the mix, I do all my configuring in /usr/local/Zend/apache2/conf/httpd.conf. I'll add a couple of virtual host entries to manage what I *was* doing in the i5/OS version of Apache and I should be good to go. I can leave the port at 8000 since my firewall is ISA and it can map a port 80 request back to 8000.

I'll have to look into that. The proxypass entries now make a little more sense to me. It is passing it off to PASE instance. I'll see if I have any better luck dealing directly with that instance.

Pete

Alfredo Delgado wrote:
An early strength of PHP over other web scripting platforms was that it runs
as an Apache module instead of a separate CGI process that is spawned when a
PHP request comes in. However, it can run as a separate CGI engine and I did
that on the i for 2-3 years before switching to Zend's official release.
Instead of running like a CGI engine, Zend Core takes the typical PHP
approach of running as a module of Apache. That Apache server is the one
that's in PASE. In essence, Zend Core for i5 is AAMP (AIX, Apache, MySQL,
PHP).

Normally in a CGI process, a request comes in for *.php and there are Apache
directives telling the web server to pass that request off to the PHP
binary. When the engine is finished with the request, it outputs its XHTML
etc. back to Apache which then serves it to the browser.

By running PHP as a module, the extra steps of sending the request off to an
outside binary are removed and every Apache job basically speaks PHP instead
of just simply serving traffic.

With Zend Core, the proxy directives are taking the *.php requests received
by an i5/OS Apache instance and sending them to Apache in PASE. The i5
Apache instance is just another client to Apache in PASE. Once the PHP
request is handled by PASE Apache, whatever outputs is taken by the i5
Apache and served to the browser.

As long as there isn't a firewall between you and your system, you can
directly talk to the Apache server in PASE. It's a full Apache install so it
has its own logs and a conf file which you can edit. It's located at
/usr/local/Zend/apache2/conf/htttpd.conf so if you don't have any other
server listening on port 80, you can have it listen on port 80 instead of
port 8000. I did mention that I ran into a problem with PASE Apache in that
it can't listen to more than one port. If I want to make a connection on
port 443, I either have to take every connection securely or I still have to
bounce the connection off an instance of i5/OS listening on port 443 which
then proxy's locally to port 80. Zend support has also provided me with a
solution where I would have to run two Apache servers in PASE -- one
listening on 80 and one listening on 443 with mod_ssl.

Now why wouldn't everybody skip the proxy step? I asked that of the list and
I believe Scott gave the best answer. Some people have been developing web
applications on the i long enough that they're using hooks only available in
an i5/OS instance of Apache. My company isn't tied to any i5/OS specific
feature of Apache so we had the freedom to do this and Zend support has
been, y'know, supportive of that choice. The've actually taken the time to
help with issues like the one I mentioned above instead of giving me the
response I expected. e.g. 'piss off, that's not an official install.'

Alfred