We used to use WebLogAnalyzer, but we got tired of manually running
reports and just went with Google Analytics. Our marketing department
can go in and run reports themselves. They love it.

Mike E.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Jeffrey Day <Jeff.Day@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well that answer leads to another.  What do you use to pull statistics from your apache logs?  WebTrends?  Do you know of a good open-source alternative?  TIA - Jeff

On 3/5/2009 at 11:46 AM, "Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv)" <matt.haas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That one gives the execution time in microseconds (1 second = 1,0000,00 microseconds). I added that one in when we were getting complaints of one of our web services being slow (of course, the problem was with the consuming app). Having that in the log makes it easy to use something like Analog to spit out performance statistics for various requests.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dean.Eshleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:15 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] log all traffic go to our web app server

Hi Matt,

I was reviewing our config file to see what we have specified.  Our
LogFormat line doesn't include the "%D".  Do you know what the %D gives
you?  TIA

Dean Eshleman,
Software Development Architect
Mennonite Mutual Aid, Inc.
Phone: (574) 533-9511 x528

"Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv)" <matt.haas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/04/2009 06:58 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] log all traffic go to our web app server

Put an HTTP server in front of it. When you use the new server wizard, it
will provide a pretty nice log format. One of the things I've added to one
of the busier HTTP servers I manage is the execution time. This is nice if
you want to troubleshoot certain requests. To add that, use this log
format:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b %D \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

There probably isn't a native plug-in for jBoss but you can set up a proxy
to do this. You'll need to make jBoss listen on a different port and
create an HTTP server on the port it is currently listening on.

Once that is done, add the following to your httpd.conf file:

LoadModule proxy_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRCORE.SRVPGM
LoadModule proxy_http_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRCORE.SRVPGM
LoadModule proxy_connect_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRCORE.SRVPGM
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRCORE.SRVPGM

ProxyReverse On
ProxyPass / http://localhost: ( http://localhost/ )<jBoss port>/
ProxyPreserveHost On

If you have a lot of static data (images, css, etc..), you can easily
configure the HTTP server to serve them instead of jBoss which will
improve site performance and scalability (the app server is going to use a
thread for each of these items so the more you off load to something else,
the more real work it can do). There are a couple of ways to do this. You
can either specify a list of virtual directories (these would match the
app context) to proxy (my example proxies the entire site) or use a
special syntax on ProxyPass that excludes certain directories. You can
read more about ProxyPass at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass. There are
several other proxy settings you may need to specify depending upon what
your app requires. The link I gave lists them all.

Matt