Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Pete Helgren
Java, so far, with JDBC, has been very easy to move from
platform to platform with.

It's one thing to find a compatible runtime for an application, but what about:

- deployment scripts (the software that installs, sets up, and configures your runtime environment)
- setting up journaling (or it's equivalent) on every platform
- backup procedures
- restore procedures
- disaster recovery procedures
- reporting
- batch procedures
- ftp procedures
- email integration
- Windows user's demanding authentication against Active Directory, while Linux & IBM i needing another
- OS upgrades
- Hardware issues
- Performance tuning
- Database repairs

That's probably a short list. Each platform has a different set of issues. Under IBM i you're dealing with QZDASOINIT jobs. On another platform it would be different. Do you want to be in a position to provide full service support? Or is that the customer's problem?