Pat,

If I get too "salesy" I'm sure David will reign me in. Would love to
talk offline if you like. But, here goes:

Zend Core, Zend Studio, and Silver level support (email based) is free
with your IBM i investment. IBM partnered with Zend to bring a fully
functional 100% PHP code compatible version of PHP on IBM i. IBM is now
shipping Zend Core as part of the pre-installation, if you choose. If
you already have an i5 you can go to Zend.com and download for free.
Backward compatible to V5R3, but I recommend V5R4 for best performance,
etc.

So what do you get:

Stable version of PHP Currently 5.2.x
Zend Core Management Interface for configuring you php.ini
Toolkit for i5 providing PHP extensions to native i5/OS or IBM i 6.1
Updates
Zend Framework
Native DB2, MySQL and MS SQL Server adapters
Documentation http://www.zend.com/en/products/core/resources

I have been playing with PHP on i5 since the inception 3 years ago. All
native PHP methods appear to be working. Plus, as of version 1.7.2 Zend
Framework has full support as well.

What doesn't work:
Platform specific PHP code from other sites typically needs to be
tweaked to run on i5. I tend to look for platform agnostic code so I do
not get into the nitty-gritty of things that do or don't from a platform
specific nature. If the documentation for PHPRunner says run it on a
Windows server, then run it on a Windows server! That doesn't mean it
can't run on i5. What it means is that they have probably implemented
platform specific code that causes you pain and suffering when running
it on platforms other than Windows. I am all for pain and suffering,
when I have the time. Lately, haven't had much time.

As Aaron indicated, you can see folks using PHP on IBM i at
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com and you can access the IBM i SugarCRM
sandbox from there to see for yourself.

No jihad, just the facts.

More info at zend.com, obviously. Lots of people doing it including a
major ERP vendor revamping their front end in PHP!

Regards,

Mike
Solutions Consultant, Zend Technologies, Inc.
(815)722-3454
Mike.p@xxxxxxxx