>Wouldn't it be better to host source code, plus development, plus
run-time environments under an IBM i server? To create some community
unity?

We currently "kind of" have that with the most recent incantation of the
YiPs website (which is running entirely on the IBM i at
www.youngiprofessionals.com). Our first open source project was to
further the initial work I did with "iSVN" which can be found here:
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com/site/index.php/open-source .
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to it as of late (the wife and I
have been reproducing like bunnies).

There are only a handful of us that have command line access to the YiPs
machine. I would love to see something come about that would facilitate
open source efforts through the use of a machine (this machine is donated
from IBM via the Academic Initiative - Kudos to Linda G. from IBM for
helping to make this happen).

How would we setup such an LPAR that could facilitate multiple community
members actively working on it and how do we decide who gets access to the
machine? I get the feeling it would probably be best if it was invite
only.

I can bring it up to the YiPs team.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

From: Aaron Bartell
Should a sourceforge project be created for stuff like this?

I don't have much experience with open-source repositories, or open-source development. But what kind of structure would encourage and facilitate contributions (other than lip service) from others to the project?

It seems that a number of open-source projects never reach their potential because only one programmer is contributing all the code. And how fair is that?

Wouldn't it be better to host source code, plus development, plus run-time environments under an IBM i server? To create some community unity?

Nathan.