This is done by a new "IceCap Buildin" used like this:
When vtSaaTitleContains(pVts:'Sign On');

Niels,

Are you a mind reader? I was just thinking how nice a function like that would be. And you were busy doing it.

You not only implemented it, but also showed a good example of using it in a cool web service.

Is Jon Paris watching this thread? He explained Zend's 5250 bridge in a web-cast, if I recall correctly. It would be helpful if he or Aaron Bartel would write an article about the things you're showing here.

It has been a bit frustrating to me to read about stuff like this running under PHP, J2EE, or .Net. Vendors keep saying that they can "modernize" our legacy applications, but they're often really suggesting that we move applications off the platform. It's good to hear of a native IBM i innovation.

I really like the architecture:

Workstation Application <==> Virtual Terminal Interface <==> Workstation Extender <==> Web Client

It's fun to consider that the Web Client may be a browser on one hand, or an Excel spreadsheet on another. I really like that the Workstation Extender in your example is an RPG module. It keeps your core business logic under IBM i.

It will be interesting to see how your Virtual Terminal Interface evolves. You're probably just scratching the surface of possibilities. You're new procedure for reading the screen title is a good start.

I hear a lot of people asking IBM for a "native web interface". They ask for it, but they often have a hard time defining what they really mean by it. I'd suggest that they look at what you're doing.

Nathan.