From: Richard Schoen
Best of luck if you decide to pursue the development effort
and don't let anyone's opinions hold you back if you have a
dream :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. It has been helpful to bounce a few ideas off list members as I consider project objectives, scope, and ROI.

CRM may NOT be the right name for what I have in mind. Others may relate to my confusion because "organizations", and "customers", are a lot like "people", in that they may play different roles. In K-12 education, a "person" may be a student, parent, teacher, administrator, employee, etc. Regardless of their different roles, they share a number of common attributes, but may be subjects of a number of different, yet integrated of applications.

A customer may be a sponsor of a project, or work request, but not necessarily. In a software company, a lot of endeavors apply to the entire customer base, but other times to a specific entity. Customer is pretty much key to invoice and receivable items, but an organization may be a customer, vendor, lead, competitor. An organization may be an element in a lot of different packages. As associates set goals, prioritize tasks, and record their time, they may be customer centric, but not always.

Then when you add "organizations" and "people" together, the number and variety of applications extend even further.

Nathan.