Hi Aaron

I don?t want to prolong this any more than necessary so I?ll try to keep it
brief, but two points stand out:

You are thinking about doing things the way they have always been done with
different technology. Why not allocate the order number when it gets loaded
from the local client into the ERP system ? Uniqueness problem solved. Why
*not* have the inventory file on the users PC ? You only need to communicate
changes when they go on line. Initializing the file is a one-off effort.
Once again, can you get my point - this is an example of what can be done if
you want to, not necessarily the answer to the questions you raise. I'm just
demonstrating that you can solve the problem if you want to.

As far as ROI goes, what appears to make the salespeople and others
productive is what determines ROI. Since it is in a spreadsheet anyone can
make it come out to any number that proves their case (cynicism intended). I
have never seen yet an IT department win an argument against a
logistics|sales|inventory|purchasing|marketing executive - pick your title.
Once these operational guys decide something adds value to the business or
offers a strategic advantage IT better deliver. IT's view of ROI will be
overlooked, so your ROI argument is meaningless.

As to your it's only for personal applications comments - were you around in
1985 to hear how many times the mainframe guys (and others) made the same
comments about minis and PC's ? What the users *want* will drive this change
regardless of what we think or indeed what is actually the right answer.

Regards
Evan Harris