From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Gibbs
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:02 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] IBM Gives RPG Devotees Their Own Café

Nathan Andelin wrote:
Access from an airplane? I don't know the answer to that - I'll let
the network people figure that out. It would have to be wireless ;-)

My point is that it's not available yet. Yes, you can get network access from a plane ... but it's extraordinarily expensive.

Developers must address the privacy issue by software design, to make
privacy possible, but let service provider's and end-users come up
with a privacy policy that both agree to.

That doesn't really address the issue ... with a email client, the data is yours. It's on your laptop or desktop. Nobody can cut you off from it by simply disabling your account.

Desktop storage? Well, that depends on the application. Is the data
personal or shared? My focus is groupware applications and shared
data, so that interested parties are served from a common database.
On the other hand, I see a need for built-in export capability within
applications, where users can pull data to their desktops on-demand.

Well, if you're talking about groupware with shared data ... then you're not talking about email anymore.

I think desktop computers and applications cost too much. Borrowing
a line from the Bourne movies, "look at what they make you give".

That's a cost / benefit question ... is the cost of a personal computer greater than the benefit of privacy and security of your data.

I'm not suggesting that you NOT develop your application ... I just think that what you propose can, or should, replace an email client.

JMO, of course.

david