Paging is easier to implement and performs better if
each user has a persistent connection.

Sure is. With persistent connections web paging is not much different
from paging in a subfile.

However, with persistent connections the number of users can
have more impact on performance than the number of hits,
as you're starting and stopping jobs.

Well, except w/connection pooling you shouldn't actually be
starting/stopping jobs, you jobs (QZDASOINIT) should end up being used
over and over.

That leads us to the question of whether we're deploying a
few applications that serve a lot of people, or many
applications that serve a few people.

Agreed. The architecture choices and options are very much dictated by
the target audience. Sure, my company can grow, but I think we're in
agreement that the GL maintenance app won't be used by 50,000 users
anytime soon. :-) Internal apps have some freedom that public facing
apps don't. But I would caution, even if it's an "internal" app, if it's
publicly accessible you better not hold any connections until you've at
least validated the username/password, otherwise you're wide open to DOS
attacks.

-Walden