Vern Hamberg wrote:
One could look at the current box, with its non-library file system, and see a strong resemblance to the directory names of a Unix system - /etc, /usr, /dev, /home and all that.

But all this came when IBM added the IFS much late in its life cycle.

Exactly my point. If you never looked at the box before the introduction of the IFS, you might think it's a Unix variant. This would be especially true if you focused on either web applications or the various PASE utilities. If, however, you've actually used the machine since its early days, you understand that there was a time when it was a library and object based system, and 20 characters was enough to uniquely identify every object in a system. In fact, there are folks who are working productively on the machine and couldn't tell you what the IFS is, even if their favorite library is technically now a folder named /QSYS.LIB/MYLIB.LIB.

In that matter, the i is very much like an elephant - what it is to me depends on my perception. Is it s rope, or a tree, or a wall, or a spear? It is all of these things - to see it otherwise is due only to my limited perception of reality. The same with those who would pigeonhole the i: there are few things it cannot do. Most limitations are those of perception, not any inherent limits of the system. In fact, that would be a pretty good advertising gig, if IBM were ever to choose to advertise the box. And at that point, we officially run into the land of offtopicness... <smile>

Joe