I think most of what you require can be implemented.

The product is open source, and the source is downloadable, so if required
it can be modified to suit. There is also forum which is very useful, and
the respondents are very helpful. A few well placed questions will probably
answer most of your questions.

If required, you could subscribe to their support feature, and I am certain
the product developers would be interested in helping you. It sounds like
the wrapping tabs feature would a good addition to the extjs product.

The widgets are object oriented, so you can extend an object (eg. TabPanel)
and set your own properties without changing any of the original code. This
a useful feature that I have used to predefine certain objects I frequently
use (eg. a combo box that lists the customers on the customer file, text
boxes with predefined width, titles, etc.).

Panels can contain other panels, indeed, more than panel can be placed
inside another panel. There are various layout models you can choose from.
You can, therefore, have child tabs by placing a TabPanel inside a TabPanel.
-- And -- If required you can place another TabPanel inside that.

If you have a hierarchical structure, you may wish to consider a TreePanel
for the drill down, and other panels to show the child pages.

Tabs can receive keyboard focus, and you can add "listeners" (JavaScript
functions) that respond to events. You can listen for specific key presses
using standard JavaScript and evoke the appropriate action.

All transactions with the server use Ajax and the response can be either in
XML or JSON format. JSON is more efficient, because JSON is already a
JavaScript object and can be handled as such.

One advantage of JSON being an object is that it can contain a JavaScript
function. This allows you to build JavaScript dynamically on the server
prior to sending it to the browser using Ajax.

Syd