Ralph Daugherty skrev:

The class I started out with was from a midlevel Apache web package (org.apache.myfaces...) which after all is the whole point of a CAPTCHA. :) However my goal is a set of calls to return a CAPTCHA via bytestream or to a file to be available to be merged with output rather than being called in the JSF code, in other words a generic external source of a CAPTCHA.

If you have an Image it is not hard to get the rest right, so I would suggest focusing on getting that right first just with plain Batik, then other libraries can be leveraged to do the byte stream transformations etc (I've done it in an earlier project). Doing this from inside JSF is a bit like building a cathedral from the spire and down.

I also just want it to be a standalone jar focused on generating text images, a functioning app callable from RPG without a huge (or actually any) dependency on many, many other jars that a full Apache Batik product would require.
Fair enough. Just note that even with a full Batik jar inside, it only loads those classes used, so the difference is only the diskspace used by the jars.

It's not like we have many choices, as far as I was able to determine only Batik and JAI, which has more caveats mentioned with it than you can shake a stick at.
The basic functionality you are after is the "twist letters according to THIS"?
What is your algorithmic approach?

/Thorbjørn