Ralph Daugherty skrev den 10-09-2008 19:02:
yeah, Nathan, I was referring to RPG procedures on that time, I think the timestamp if I recall. But I also recently worked with IFS timestamps (epoch-1970) from RPG API calls and SQL Server timestamps set from Java timestamps (with 9 places provided for resolution of seconds) via RPG JNI, so it's all blurring together by now.

I do recall it was from an RPG program timestamp function that I'm referring to where time is only populated to milliseconds, and definitely not the gettimeofday() API. I haven't used that yet.

But regarding the epoch-1970, I was working with the normal seconds since 1970 count stored in file timestamp. The gettimeofday() API must use the extended epoch count that joins in another integer for second precision count.

I don't have any idea how precisely that's set, but it'd be interesting if RPG time is set to only milliseconds but timeofday() integers set to greater precision than that, like microsecinds. I would think the source would be the same, an RTC chip or whatever. (oh wait, this is the age of the internet - a SOAP call to the National Time whatchmajiggy to get an atomic crystal controlled count, plus or minus a little slack for the SOAP call. ok, plus a lot of slack. :)

The "lot of slack"-problem has been solved pre-SOAP in the ntp protocol[1], so you need to write a ntp-client and call that instead :)

[1] Feel free to point out the redundancy.