From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Odom
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:00 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] CAPTCHA image validation in web form

FWIW,

How about changing the CCSID "on the fly" or

Check with TicketMaster as they use this technique.

Dave

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> 9/1/2008 08:05 >>>
I've never output a form that prompted the user to enter the characters
represented in a Captcha image. But if you had a table on your server
that cross-referenced the character representation with the image file
name, the validation logic would just be a regular string comparison
against the appropriate table row & column, and the type of thing you
could easily do in just about any server language.

I understand that the purpose of distorting the image is to prevent it
from being converted to a character string via standard optical
character recognition, which could be employed via bot. You want to
make sure the user is more intelligent (human) than a bot.

So my question would be, is there software available that can convert
simple character strings into distorted image representation, so you can
generate your own table of prompts?

Nathan.