From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 10:06 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] CAPTCHA image validation in web form

I've never output a form that prompted the user to enter the
characters represented in a Captcha image. But if you had a
table on your server that cross-referenced the character
representation with the image file name, the validation logic
would just be a regular string comparison against the appropriate
table row & column, and the type of thing you could easily do in
just about any server language.

I understand that the purpose of distorting the image is to
prevent it from being converted to a character string via
standard optical character recognition, which could be employed
via bot. You want to make sure the user is more intelligent
(human) than a bot.

So my question would be, is there software available that can
convert simple character strings into distorted image
representation, so you can generate your own table of prompts?

Nathan.