Good points, this is a grey area and we both have points that don't make it
black and white.

Last I checked, RoR was Open Source and no one was paying for that :-)

I don't think open source has anything to do with it, and instead we are
talking about what is selling hardware, or more specifically, what ISN'T
selling AS400 hardware. I am glad to see people using PHP as a reason to
stay on the IBMi, but I am incredibly interested in hearing the sales pitch
for getting people to run PHP IBMi in the face of a cheaper Lintel solution
where they have no prior experience with the IBMi.

What makes the i5 unique among Wintel / Lintel server arena? Things like
vertical scalability, rock solid performance, easier to manage, etc.

Agreed, and after reading that HarrisData article you linked to I was bummed
out because they didn't really "sell" the AS400 on any of it's strong
points.

I think the XML like savior you anticipate will be Web Services.

It can't be because web services promotes "spread thyself so thin across
multitudes of OSes and languages that it takes double the time to get a
collaborative project done". FYI - I eat/sleep/breath web services for a
living. They are GREAT for communicating with third parties. They are not
so great for where you have control over both ends including the OS,
language, and data transfer to use. As this opinion goes against popular
opinion I don't expect others to jump on my bandwagon without first going
through the various puddles.

Remember that SOA is a crutch to hold us up on the bad leg named
"we-let-any-server/language/OS-in-the-door-that-wanted-in-over-the-past-15-years".
As much as we would like to call SOA the next wave of a good thing, the
reality of it is that the bleed edge companies are already moving past it
and are instead gaining effciencies by simplifying their software stack and
eliminating (not adding) new languages and OSes. Does that cost a lot of
money? You bet. But the cost will be less than what many (not all) companies
will have in 10 years with an SOA mess.

Applications even if they are running on the same box will communicate via
web services.

Very interesting; WHY would you introduce so much complexity for a simple
program call simply for the sake of generic interface? This is flat out
Kool-Aid drinking (btw, I have partaken of this Kool-Aid when I first
started with XML 8 years ago - it is so sweet on the tongue but so bitter in
the stomach). Now on the flip side I FULLY promote modular programming for
re-use for a variety of purposes (i.e. develop an RPG *SRVPGM so it can be
called from SQL, from an XML web service, from JT400, from PHP, etc). But
that is a lot different that using web services to make calls from one
module to another on the *same* machine. Maybe you can expound on this to
correct any generalizations I am making.

And being successful! (Stay tuned for a case study on this one!)

I have also seen the success. But for most it has only been able to be
measured in very short time frames. The proof will be in 10 years, and I
think we are in for a big surprise.

Then again, I might be smoking the drapes :-)

Who knows, maybe I am too :-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com