Jim,

Just printed it off so I can look at it in the "reading room" (multi-tasking).

Thanks,

Dave

"Jim Dillard" <jdillard@xxxxxxxx> 8/11/2008 17:50 >>>
Dave,
Comparison of Net.Data vs. PHP on IBM's web site (2/2007):
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/systems/library/es-phppart2/

This may also interest those moving from Net.Data to PHP.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Odom
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 4:19 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] What's the latest thinking of thebest
twoorthreewebdevelopment languages/environ...

Vern, and other Net.Data and PHP folks,

I thought you could run whatever Net.Data needed from the HTTP
environment on the i and thus there was no need for Apache? What am I
missing about how this is set up. I'll have to look at the Net.Data
books you suggested again unless there are newer/better. Then, if
Apache is necessary I'll have to find that set of manuals.

I'd also like to compare some Net.Data and PHP code to see how they do
the same thing. Know of any examples?

Boy did I start a discussion here. Didn't think it would get this far
but the discussion has been a good learning experience for me but I
think I've just hit the tip of the ice burg.

But, it now appears like the choices, for me, for now, are Net.Data and
PHP. Again, for now, my needs are fairly simple... picture the old
Green Screen menus that allow you to move from main menu to subordinate
with selections per topic area on each. That's what I need for now as
a Web app with those selections calling REXX, perhaps some CL/RPG and
DB2 Query Manager queries, Commands like WRKSPLF where the spool files
don't belong to the user logged on but are accesses, under the covers,
by generic userid with the privlidges with the spoolfile displayed on
the Web (perhaps the hardest to do).... this sort of thing. No fancy
stuff... yes using CSS would be nice but not necessary. Thoughts on
how to knock this out fairly quickly from nothing-set-up-on-the-system
to production web app(s)?

Thanks,

Dave

<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/9/2008 10:58 >>>
Nathan

Very cool!

I see, for Dave's benefit, that the Apache HTTP Server Redbook has a
very simple example, as well as additional materials that can set up
things pretty quickly. Some of the stuff returns a table all filled out
- and a CSS import could take care of any style concerns very nicely.

Vern

From: Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>

From: vhamberg@...
it is good to hear this from one who is actually using it, if I read

you correctly.

I'm currently using a Net.Data file upload utility, which is based on
a macro
supplied by Peter Connell. The following thread is part of somewhat
lengthy
discussion on that topic:

http://archive.midrange.com/web400/200804/msg00013.html

I used Net.Data for a small contract job I did for Pearson Publishing
(in the
UK) a number of years ago. I'm also aware of a couple ISVs using
Net.Data for
applications for K-12 school districts in the US.

I actually did a bit of comparative analysis by prototyping an
application using
three different tools, one of which was my own ILE framework, while
the other
two were Net.Data & CGIDEV2. As I began working with Net.Data, it
struck me how
seductive it is to just save a macro on the IFS and run it. There's no
compile
step. And any errors are reported automatically in the output.

Nathan.