Superb answer. WILCO. Thanks very much, Dave

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> 8/8/2008 13:15 >>>
From: Dave Odom
Ahhh, perhaps there's hope! Good info Nathan. I'm so easily swayed ...

You're going to get mixed opinions about the future of Net.Data on this list because it targets a general audience and members are using a gamut of technologies. If I were considering Net.Data seriously, I'd talk to someone at IBM about its future, and ask questions on the Net.Data forum.

http://dtwdude.com/forum.html

Also take into account that IBM is a collection of organizations, which often have competing interests, and the folks who used to support Net.Data under Windows and Unix are NOT the same as those who support it under IBM i. The code bases are different, too. And if IBM were to ever lose interest in Net.Data under IBM i, and release it as an open-source project, it could take on new life.

Finally, if you decide to use Net.Data, keep in mind that good design can insulate you against obsolescence. Store the bulk of your HTML/CSS/JavaScript in "include" files. Use the supported language environments for DB I/O and business logic, just in case you're forced to migrate to whatever replaces Net.Data in the future.

Nathan.