But it's going away about as fast as RPG and COBOL have.

That's not comparing apples to apples. RPG and COBOL had A LOT more time to
become adopted vs. Net.Data.

Let me put it this way (which relates to the OP): Would you recommend
Net.Data as a direction to build new apps on the IBM i for long term
viability?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com