Hi Rich,

It is important to know whether you have a NAT or non-NAT configuration.

In the NAT configuration the router is the interface to Internet and your i5
is just another device on your internal network. In this configuration the
router will normally have some form of firewall and should hide your
internal network devices from the internet. In other words, the internal
devices can access the internet, but the internet cannot access your network
devices (not unless you allow this).

In the non-NAT configuration your i5 is the only device attached to the
router. All other devices on the network access the internet through the i5.
This type of config requires two network cards in your i5. One for the
internet connection and the other for the internal network. For this config
to work you need two IP addresses assigned by your ISP. One for the Router
and the other for the i5.

In all cases the router should have the IP address assigned by the ISP. The
router is your internet gateway, so the router IP address should be
specified as the next hop on the *DEFAULT TCP route.

Firewall --- important -- VERY important. I have my i5 attached directly to
the internet and there are several attempts to attack it every day. I have
had an "AS/400" on the internet for over 10 years and so far not one attack
has breached my defences (touch wood!!)

OS/400 has its own packet filter firewall. It is quite effective. You
configure this firewall using Ops Nav. In Ops Nav select your system and
navigate to Network/IP Policies/Packet Rules. There is documentation and
help in Ops Nav, the IBM InfoCenter, and I am certain there is a red book.

The other thing you should do as a further defence mechanism is prevent
unwanted network attack from both inside and outside your organisation. My
Fortress/400 product can do this, as well as products by other
manufacturers.

Remember the i5 can be hub of any network, you don't need a server farm. My
i5 runs DHCP, DNS, Windows Domain, Mail, Fax, Print, File, FTP, Web,etc.
servers and is my internet gateway. ALL the network control is performed by
a single P05 system. My development, etc. runs on a different box in the
network. If you go to www.ccs400.com, then that web server is my i5 here in
this office, with the web pages generated using RPG with IceBreak. There are
NO Windows servers here with the benefit of significantly reduced running
costs and far less down time. I had Windows servers at one time but the
seemingly constant problems pissed me off and they ended up in the trash.

I hope this helps. - When I know what your NAT status is I should be able to
provide some configuration guidelines.

Regards
Syd