HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Sarah Poger Gladstone
Have you seen Spring's JDBC template API?

Sarah,

I spent a couple hours reviewing Spring articles and documentation. But I
didn't learned much. The terminology is beyond me. I was an early adopter
of OO languages and runtime interfaces (in the mid 90's). But I switched to
ILE in the late 90's, and many OO concepts and terms have morphed since
then. Plus Spring is a huge collection, divided into 7 major frameworks.

In just 2 lines of code a programmer can: query the database
( with parms) and return the result(s) into a hashmap or
collection of objects.

Is that to say that Spring "automatically" maps SQL result sets into
collections of objects? It may be safe to say that SQL result sets are
"collections", but not "objects" in the same sense as Java objects. The SQL
runtime doesn't support extending result sets through inheritance (or
polymorphism), for example. And methods may be "applied" to result sets,
rows, & columns, but are not embedded in the same.

So there must be something that maps SQL result sets to objects. Is it
automated? Is it based on column data types? Since column attributes may
include such things as text headings and edit codes, are they mapped as
well?

Finally, what is the purpose of mapping SQL result sets into objects?
Based on other comments in this thread, I assume it has something to do
with implementing business rules and procedures. But I shouldn't assume.

Thanks,

Nathan.