A certificate is what is used by the server. A certificate authority is the
"signer" of the certificate.

Let's say for example you buy a diamond. It has a certificate of
authenticity. It doesn't mean much unless the person that created or
"signed" the certificate is an authority.

So lets say that "Super Diamonds, Inc" signed it. And they're well known
and "trusted". You see the diamond, the certificate, and see that it's
signed by someone you "trust". So you say "cool, I'll buy it."

Same goes for online certificates. A server gets one from a trusted
authority (like Verisign). So, when you, as a client, communicate with the
server over SSL, your applications look at the certificate to see that you
"trust" who signed it (ie, the certificate authority).

A few years ago, most basic CAs came installed automatically (actually they
were installed when you set up your *SYSTEM store). They still do, but more
and more servers, like UPS, are using tierred CAs. Which means that there
is more than one signer of a certificate. This mucks things up for most of
us because now we have to learn how to find the certificate, export the CAs,
and install them (in the right order) into our Certificate Store using
Digital Certificate Mananger (DCM).

If you want some help with this, contact me offline. I've walked many folks
through this. I normally get the CAs they need (using the URL on the
request) and then send the files to you and explain how to install them, and
in what order. See my contact page at www.bvstools.com/contact.html for my
direct email address.

Bradley V. Stone
BVSTools - www.bvstools.com