Hi Aaron;

Wow! That sure did happen fast! It will take me awhile to digest the
Apache licenses, so I will post my thoughts on that after reading up on
it.<<

Thanks. There is not long from idea to reality here :) - but to be honest
with you - we have been discussing for quite some time now.

What is required for the registered individuals, and what is in the
platinum
support contract?<<

Oh - yes missed that. Thanks to you guys will plan it like Zend. The terms
silver/gold/platinum is from theire support site. Look at

http://www.zend.com/en/services/support/

And klick at "Subscription Summary"

We haven?t discussed that into details and the following is indeed subject
to change. But the basic idea is:

IceBreak can be downloaded and run without any service contracts as much as
you please. However, If you don?t at least "silver" service contract and you
want to upgrade IceBreak - Then you have to de-install IceBreak before you
can install a new version. But it is possible to run it without a service
contract.

The service contract contains:

1) silver:
* Let you upgrade your IceBreak easy and migrate you applications to new
versions. (add water and you have a party :) )

* Q and A to S&M service representatives by e-mail - answer within 48 hours.

* Access to knowledge base

1) gold ( is silver + )
* e-mail answer within 24 hours
* Phone - Tech support line. business hours

2) platinum ( is gold + )
* e-mail answer within 24 hours
* Tech support line business hours
* "Goto assists" support by S&M service representatives.
* access to source code.
* Changes requests will scheduled for future releases.

No pricing yet. However:
* Silver will be cheap.
* Gold not so cheap.
* Platinum will be in the range of the purchase price today / 6. (if you are
our business partner - likewise colleges and universities - it is also for
free).

Is this only on the S&M server, or can an entity do the build on customers
machines?<<

The idea is that the source is open, so you can pull it off the S&M server
in any modification version you like (subversion) - compile it as you wish.
However; the build process is rather complicated and 100% automatic, so
(initially) you will have to "check your source in" and recompile it on S&M
before you can press the "Create IceBreak Build" which will post a new
version on the internet...

But that we can discuss how to make more flexible.

One thought that I had is do you have "developer documentation" for
IceBreak
so we can get the 10,000 ft view first (a diagram would rock) and then dive
into individual components to learn how information is passed to the
different layers? If you don't have that documentation, and this framework
is in fact going open source, then I would be *potentially* willing to
expend some nights and weekends to help develop it.<<

Of cause we have a design description. This is however in "helicopter
perspective" since it is modified to please IBM.

IceBreak was the first product from out side US. that was approved by IBM
technical review board in Rochester MN in 2006.

So, I'll appreciate your offerings with "nights and weekends" since (as you
know) open-source was not the aim in the first place.

I just can't believe how fast you guys moved on this - truly remarkable.
How "concluded" is this? I guess it will be true in my book when I see the
Apache license reference at the top of each source member :-)<<

Yes sir!! - this requires a "little" job here - no doubt. However, I'll send
you "blueprints" and licence keys sometime next week so we can get this boat
rocking.

Also, I think it will be excellent if we are starting up with a few of your
clients and lets the concept mature before we opens it 100% up.

I don?t think we have found all the pitfalls yet ..

Best regards

Niels Liisberg
IceBreak Chief SW Architect

System & Metode Technologies
Håndværkersvinget 8, DK-2970 Hørsholm
Phone: +45 70 20 36 10
Fax: +45 70 20 30 11
Direct: +45 45 177 055
Mobile: +45 31 158 861
E-mail: nli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.system-method.com and www.Icebreak.org

Wow! That sure did happen fast! It will take me awhile to digest the
Apache licenses, so I will post my thoughts on that after reading up on it.

3) The source will be available only for registered individuals with a
valid platinum support contract.

What is required for the registered individuals, and what is in the platinum
support contract?

7) Contributors will be able to produce individual new build at will.

Is this only on the S&M server, or can an entity do the build on customers
machines?

One thought that I had is do you have "developer documentation" for IceBreak
so we can get the 10,000 ft view first (a diagram would rock) and then dive
into individual components to learn how information is passed to the
different layers? If you don't have that documentation, and this framework
is in fact going open source, then I would be *potentially* willing to
expend some nights and weekends to help develop it.

I just can't believe how fast you guys moved on this - truly remarkable.
How "concluded" is this? I guess it will be true in my book when I see the
Apache license reference at the top of each source member :-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Niels Liisberg <liisberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>