My sense is that it's a lot more work.

I think it depends on how you look at it. For instance, you are trying to
use the JSF required="true" parameter to ease your development, but after
learning how that approach works I prefer to simply add an IF statement in
my handler code to test for the same thing so I can have uniform validation
(i.e. not have some of it in the UI layer and some in the controller layer).

I guess you could say I am throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I
also gained an efficiency by having my validation code all in one place
without that much more work (i.e. probably take about 30 more seconds to
code the IF statement vs. the JSF required="true" approach).

This next statement could be completely based on how I like to code, but
this is one of those cases where the framework tries to help out by giving a
cool feature out of the box, but it instead is just muddying the waters
IMO. I do however like how the UI control values are mapped directly to
POJO's - that has saved me TONS of time.

The same concept could be applied in RPG fairly easily though I would be
concerned about performance. When I say fairly easily I mean I have done
all the different pieces of technology and I don't mean it would be quickly
built (as in time). All JSF is doing under the covers is mapping HTML
<input /> tags to "setters" in the JSF controller. The same could be done
with system API's to dynamically call a setter sub procedure in Nathan's RPG
controller (though I believe the sub procedure interfaces would have to be
exported, though I am not certain). This is actually making me wonder if
such a thing should be added to an RPG framework vs. doing an EVAL to get
the value in initialization type sub routine.

But in the end RPG doesn't currently have it and JSF/EGL does...

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>