Joe Pluta skrev den 06-06-2008 17:42:

Since JDBC 3.0 allows for moving both back and forth in a resultset (this is from memory, so the names may be different) I would use plain SQL over JDBC and put the resultset in the session bean along with a counter stating the current row number so paging is possible. It should be trivially simple, but I'll need to do a quick and dirty test to see if it actually is so :)
As far as I know, scrollable resultsets cannot be placed in stateless session beans.

I was not advocating for a completely stateless application, just that the "outside of the Java box" should preferrably be stateless. Additionally I was just thinking of the session scope in a webapp, not a complete EJB-solution (which is overly complex for most purposes).

Naturally you cannot serialize a resultset to disk, but you can serialize the SQL-request and the index and redo the query when deserialized.
Please, try it out. Let us know.
I'll see what I can do :)