Bradley V. Stone wrote:
Alright, Joe, when the H-E double hockey sticks did I say I was
anti-AJAX.

Heeeeeeeeee! Okay, perhaps "anti" is a bit strong, but certainly not
"pro". You made a pretty strong statement that you don't think AJAX
fits very often:

"I've put together quite a few nice systems, although decided against AJAX
for most of them. I am using it in one application now I'm writing for a
county clerk's office. I showed it to Aaron. While simple, it does work
nice as far as making it more "user friendly" and the hardest part was
putting together (actually finding online!) an AJAX library to
plug in so I
could make multiple connections at once. That took all of 10 minutes.
Implementing it took all of 30.

The problem is, right now it's only internal. It's one case in all the
projects I've done where I thought AJAX fit perfectly."

Is that "anti-AJAX". Perhaps not. But it's far from a ringing
endorsement, whereas the examples Nathan showed us were from the ground
up dependent on AJAX. Just a slight architectural disconnect, is all.

WOW! WOW!

Now I have to use AJAX for EVERYTHING in EVERY application even if it's not
the right fit or I'm not endorsing a particular technology? Keep
backpeddling, man. You're way off on this point.

Also, the example Nathan gave with pics of animals is pretty much the same
type of application I used AJAX for. Loading thumbnails for each page of a
document to view/print. Sort of a document viewer in a browser.

Because there is document redaction and other processes going on for each
page that can take a lot of time, I didn't want to show a blank page, so
instead I show them an animated GIF of an hourglass for each thumbnail while
it's loading. Using AJAX, when each thumbnail is ready for viewing the
hourglass is replaced with the thumbnail and the user isn't sitting there
wondering what's going on.

Brad
www.bvstools.com