Nathan,

I am a complete noob with EGL so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. Here is an example of what Joe is talking about (I think):

There is the usual setup for building a project in EGL. Creating a project just takes a wizard which walks you through the steps of setting the project up. One of the steps is to identify the database (schema or library) that you are working with and what tables you will use. The wizard generates a "standard" set of library functions that you can use to access the data. If the table was called customers, you might end up with a GetCustomer, GetCustomerList, updatecustomer, updateCustomerList, etc. Basically, it generates a standard set of I/O routines that deal with single record access and multiple record access. In reality, under the covers, the customer records are mapped to an array so you can load one, or many with a single DB call. These are generated automatically for you and you can add or modify what is there. The "plumbing" of the I/O, in and out of the array, is handled for you.

So basically, out of that one wizard step, you end up with an array of data elements and a set of functions relating to I/O that are based on the table design. Those are part of an overall component structure that is available to you in the framework.

So you then create a .jsp page, again using a wizard, choosing a template "theme" that basically lays out the initial page for you. That is what DW would do for you as well: create a "blank" page based on a template you designed. But, and here is the cool part, when you have the design view in front of you, you right click on the page and take the option to Edit Page Code. Now, rather than seeing the HTML (which you could see through another view) now you have an EGL file that allows you to define the data elements and functions you want to have available in your page. Using the EGL language (and very little of it, by the way), you define those elements and functions.
So let's say you have a customer record and want to retrieve a list of customers to a page. Well, remember that the wizard already created the array and the base functions for you (you haven't coded anything yet), so your EGL code might look like this:

package jsfhandlers;

import eglderbyr7.StatusRec;
import eglderbyr7.access.CustomerLib;
import eglderbyr7.data.*;
import com.ibm.egl.jsf.*;

handler allcustomers2 type JSFHandler{onConstructionFunction = onConstruction, onPrerenderFunction = onPrerender, view = "allcustomers2.jsp", viewRootVar = viewRoot}

viewRoot UIViewRoot;
customerArray Customer[0]{maxSize = 100};
status StatusRec;
// Function Declarations

function onConstruction()
CustomerLib.GetCustomerListAll(customerArray, status);

end

function onPrerender()
end
end

Even most of THIS code was generated without typing. The only thing I changed was to add the customerArray (of Customers) with a max size of 100 and reference the function I need in onConstruction.

Then in the onContruction function (which is called when the page loads and is automatically included) I just referenced the function GetCustomerListAll (that was created for me) in the CustomerLib (which was created for me). You can see where the components come from by looking at the import statements. Again,this stuff is generated for you based on your selections.

OK. So we have a function and some data elements that are now available to be referenced by the page, since we are editing code for the page. We save our changes and switch back to the page designer. Now, as components, I have a customerArray object available to me. If I had created other functions, like a loadCustomers function, I would have that available as well. The functions you create are available as "Action" components in the page designer. When actions are dropped on a page they become buttons by default.

Now, all I have to do is to grab the customerArray object and drop it on the page and it presents as a HTML row in the page with each field listed in the order in which they were created in the array. I can choose to omit fields and make some or all read only (I'll learn more about designer options in a week or so). But, in any case, you drop the array onto the page and you immediately have customer record laid out. (again, reformatting the base page is something that will be in the next workshop).

This example really has no function beyond just listing customers when the page is rendered. So it is pretty easy. But the "drag and drop" is the cool part. You code data elements and functions as part of the page design. Those functions and data elements are available to the page at that point. I probably typed less than 100 characters to get a customer listing. Creating a single customer maintenance page is just as easy: code a customer record as a data element in the page and reference the getCustomer function that has already been created in CustomerLib and then drop the customer record on the page and use the onConstruction function to get the record. Need to pass the customer ID as a parameter? No problem, the page already has a reference to it and you can pass it to the function.

I don't plan to give you a full tutorial but the basic concept is this: Each jsp page, beyond the usual HTML element objects that are available, also have a reference created to a set of data elements and functions that you can add to and modify. How the references are maintained is the magic of EGL. It just works.

It would be like you being able to associate your RPG program with a Dreamweaver page design so that you could see all the record formats and variables that are in the RPG program and just drag and drop them into the Dreamweaver page. And, even better, those relationships are maintained as you modify your RPG code and the page. This is very cool stuff.

You need to download the trial and take 1 hour to walk through one or two examples. With your background you'll see the power in it in a heartbeat.

Pete

Nathan Andelin wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
Have you tried dropping a field or a record or an array of records onto a web page? The fact that
the data from the EGL fields is automatically passed
to the page with no work on your part, that's what
I find lacking in any tagging approach...

Joe, you seem to have a misconception about HTML templates used by CGIDEV2 and similar toolkits. They're much different than the "tagging approach" used by Java frameworks. But you can do the research yourself; I just mention it as an aside.

I really wanted to ask about the "no work on your part". What about defining EGL records? And what is it that automatically binds them to fields on the page?

If an RPG program uses templates, you'll see code like the following that inserts field values into a page:

rptVarSet('type':%trimr(codetype));
rptVarSet('desc':%trimr(typedesc));

Notice that the API also allows the %trimr() function to be called, but it could just as well be any other type of data formatting, or even decrypting the field before outputting it. Or if the user is not authorized to see the field, an empty value could be returned. Or the statement could be conditional. This is quite powerful on the one hand, and perfunctory on the other. It's the type of code you could do when your half asleep.

And if it's just too perfunctory, you could write a procedure to automatically map fields from an externally defined data structure to fields on the page with a single function call, which is what the folks at cnxcorp did in their Valence RPG toolkit.

Nathan.